Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Away by Amy Bloom

Characters. For me, interesting characters can make a book, and in this one, they do. Lillian travels from Russia to New York City, to Seattle, to Alaska. And along the way, she encounters intriguing people. I loved how the narrator would tell the reader what happened to each character after Lillian moved on. Often in a book, we meet characters but don't know what happened to them. Here, the author gives us the rest of the story. The book is sometimes difficult to read - maybe it's the wording - but overall, I really enjoyed it. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of those rare books that I realized almost instantaneously I had read before! You all may relate...the older we get, blah, blah, blah. I echo June's analysis and would add that the plot, while sometimes a bit far-fetched and convoluted, makes for a very clever, intriguing weave. BT