Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Stuff that Never Happened by Maddie Dawson

After reading Freedom, I needed something lighter - something less dysfunctional. So while browsing through some Kindle selections, I came across this book. Although it sounded a bit like light chick-lit, it also received rave reviews. It starts off great and the author bounces back and forth between the present time and the 1970's and early 1980's. But as I read it, I realized that it has almost the same plot line as Freedom!! Woman loves two men.... one is stable, kind, rather boring... the other one is sexy, exciting, and handsome. Woman loves them both but maries Man #1. Then has an affair with Man #2. Years pass, but woman can't forget Man #2. Of course, they meet again and Man #2 turns out to be a tad disappointing so she reunites with Man #1. Really? How could I find two books with the same plot. However, in the writing style and the character development the books are wide apart. This book is more predictable and fluffy, but still has some humor and well-written scenes. -June

2 comments:

Maddie Dawson said...

Hi--and thank you for your review of my book! I was so flattered to see it compared to Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom." Wow1 I had never thought of it in quite that light before. And actually, in my book, Annabelle doesn't meet the man she falls in love with (Man #2) until after she's already married Man #1--who, you're right, is kind and slightly boring, but who also loves her so much. When she meets Man #2 again, it's after years of a happy marriage. Thank you for all your kind words. I did want the book to have humor and lighter scenes...as well as pay attention to the questions that come up as people in a long marriage find themselves reflecting on their past happiness, and wondering what they really want for the rest of their lives. Now I need to go read "Freedom"! all best wishes, Maddie

Jean said...

Wow! I didn't know anyone but our group ever read my reviews. And now to have an author respond..... I'm thrilled! And I also think I need to do a more thorough job in writing my reviews! Thanks, Maddie, for your comments! Please let me know what you think of Freedom too. - June