Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Submission by Amy Waldman

As I looked at my last review, I realized I never wrote a review about this book!  And this one shouldn't be missed.  It's one I'd never heard of, and frankly when one of my book club members suggested it, we all thought it must be a Shades of Gray type of book based on the title.  Far from it.  A panel has been formed to select the best submission for a 9/11 memorial.  We learn at the beginning of the book that the winner has been chosen, and the architect is Muslim.  Of course, this causes controversy on many levels - the victims' families, the people in New York, the rest of the nation, and Muslim groups.  This is a fabulous book and one that you'll think about long after you finish.  If there is a "right" side, I'm not sure what it is.  The ending is not what I expected but it still was appropriate - even if I wanted more from one of the characters (I won't give it away).  -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another excellent recommendation, June! A thoroughly fascinating look at the difference perspective makes and a healthy notion for all of us to consider and remember.