Saturday, August 24, 2013

Audiobooks

Lately I've been reading more than one book at a time.  I rarely do this.  But I always have a book I'm reading and now I often have a book I'm listening to too!  I heard a woman being interviewed on the CBS morning news show who said that audiobooks are the rage now that people simply download them to their phones.  I find I can listen everywhere and while I'm doing almost anything - walking the dog, driving in the car, fixing dinner, cleaning bathrooms.  I used to just listen to them on long driving trips but now I'm getting into it.  The actors who read these books are amazing and often switch their voices for the multiple characters making it so easy to understand and more enjoyable.  It makes me wonder how my feelings would differ if I had read these books instead of listened to them.  Anyway, here are two I've just listened to and liked.

Where We Belong by Emily Giffen
This is definitely in the chick-lit category but maybe that's why it made a good book to listen to.  The characters were interesting, and as I mentioned above, the actor made it fun as she changed her voice from the sophisticated Marion to the teenaged Kirby.  Marion gave birth to Kirby 18 years ago and put her up for adoption.  She then launched a very successful career without a thought to family and children.  Kirby felt out of place in her family and tracked Marion down.  The chapters switch from one woman to the other and the book comes to a thought-provoking conclusion about finding out who we really are.  Enjoyed it.

The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison
Carla recommended this one because she'd heard it has been compared to Gone Girl.  And there are similarities.  The chapters switch from husband to wife, and there is certainly some dysfunction in the marriage.  In fact, I think we learn very early in the book that the wife will eventually commit a murder.  If you're someone who can read a book and not really like the characters, then this might work for you.  The husband is a total ass, not just because of his infidelity but because of his enormous ego and his overall feelings about women.  But it is certainly an interesting read, and I loved listening to it.

No comments: