Monday, September 30, 2013

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

I'm sure I'm the only reviewer who will compare this book to Olive Kitteridge.  And maybe I'm crazy to do so.  But this wonderful book has the same format as Olive.  Each chapter is written from the point of view of a different character, and yet they are all loosely connected.  And like Olive, there is one character, Pari, who is either central to the story in the chapter or at least there is a reference to her.

OK, enough of the comparison.  This is the latest book from the author of The Kite Runner.  Like his previous books, he gets gold stars for his writing.  It's fabulous.  The book jumps to different decades and to different characters, so there were times when I felt the need to almost draw out a timeline as to what happened and when it happened.  It can be confusing.  But I really loved the character development and found the book fascinating.  The basic story is about how Pari is sold to a childless, wealthy couple in Kabul in the 1950's.  Her uncle, Nabi, works for the family so we learn his story, Pari's brother's story, and several more.  There were some characters who needed more attention and I wanted to know what happened to them, but overall I highly recommend this one. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved it! Thanks, again, June!