Friday, April 11, 2014

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

It's 1969 and I'm sitting in my sorority house safely watching television with a crowd of people.  Several kids have to stand because there are so many in the room.  The draft lottery is on TV, and I remember a feeling of disconnect, as if this really couldn't be happening in my lifetime, could it?  Wars are just something that happened a long time ago and we have to learn about them in classes and books.  Occasionally you'd hear a reaction when a certain birth date was read, but I mostly remember the silence as we all listened to the dates - one after another.  There was talk of going to Canada, methods for getting medical excuses, joining National Guard units.  This was really about as close as I came in my experience with the war in Vietnam. 

Reading The Things They Carried was like seeing a whole new view of this war.  Although it's made up of short stories about Tim's company of men, there are certain themes and characters who cross into all the stories.  I loved it.  It's so well written and I can see why many colleges have required students to read it.  I wish I'd read it sooner.  -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read this several years ago and highly recommend, but it took June to get it up on the blog.