Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Florence Gordon by Brian Morton

I think it took me over a month to read this book. It wasn't that it didn't hold my interest; I was just traveling and didn't have time to read. So I would pick it up and put it down after only reading a few pages. This makes it hard to get a real feel for the book. But regardless, I liked it. It really isn't much more than a detailed character description of Florence, a feisty, intelligent, feminist who manages to offend friends and family whenever possible. We also meet her son, his wife, and their daughter. There are small plots surrounding all of them, but none are resolved and so the book ends in unanswered questions.

Basically, this is a book about a very unlikable character with no real plot and an abrubt ending. Yet somehow it turns out to be a pretty darn good read. If you can life with that, give it a try. - June

No comments: