Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

I think this is the last book I'll read by Jojo Moyes. I've only read two, but that's enough. I picked up this one because after reading Deep Down Dark, I wanted something light. This one is just too light. However, it starts out with a lot of promise that was the only reason I finished - I kept waiting for it to get good again. The novel is divided into two parts, and the first part is great. We meet Sophie, a Frenchwoman who is running a hotel in a small town in France while her husband is fighting in WWI. Her husband is an artist, and he paints a picture of her that hangs in the hotel. Her town is controlled by the Germans, and it is her relationship with them that causes trouble for her and her family. All of this is fascinating stuff. But then we switch to the current time and meet a whole new cast of characters who aren't quite as interesting. The painting is at the center of this part of the novel as the true owner is determined after lots of courtroom drama.

I liked the plot and liked the story but the writing just got in the way. For example, the book would include a letter written by Sophie - and she would write it with dialogue including quotation marks. This was done in several places in the book. People generally don't quote conversations in this way when writing a letter or a diary entry. Am I wrong? It just seemed weird and contrived. And the love story is so very predictable. You know where it's going from the first moment. So I'm done, Jojo. Sorry. - June

No comments: