Saturday, May 28, 2016

Euphoria by Lily King

What do you know about Margaret Mead? Here's what I knew before I read this book. She was an anthropologist who was born in the early 1900's. Here's what I know now. Just about the same thing. But I did enjoy the book!

Once again, I struggle with historical fiction. According to the book jacket, Euphoria is "Inspired by events in the life of revolutionary anthropologist Margaret Mead..." which means maybe some of the story is true or maybe the author created the whole thing! The main character even has a different name. (Would that be for legal reasons?) As I read it, I decided to just read it as fiction, and when I switched to that mindset, I really enjoyed the book. The story follows three anthropologists in the 1930's in New Guinea; Nell, Fen (her husband), and Bankson. Their relationship with the tribes they visit and their relationships with each other are complex and very interesting. It's a subject that few novels are written about so it's a great topic to discover. I recommend this one and will bring it to you, BT. -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I'm glad you did.