Sunday, August 7, 2016

A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler

It is a fact: I love Anne Tyler! There's just something about her writing style that captivates me. Her books are primarily focused on families, and they pull you into the lives of characters and let you see the family members with all their warts and wrinkles. The reader KNOWS these characters and has people in their lives who are just like these people. There's the son who just doesn't fit into the family, the daughter who is the overachiever, the mother who just wants everyone to get along.

This is the story of the Whitshank family. We meet one generation but the author also shifts to the previous generation and back again. This might confuse some people, and it did cause me to have to pay attention to the growing cast of characters, but it all works. For those of you who like an exciting plot, you will be disappointed. But if you love to join into a family struggling to make it through good times and messy times, this is for you.

Some people have said that this is Anne Tyler's last book. I sincerely hope that this isn't true. I look forward to each and every one. While this one might not be her best, even an average book by Anne Tyler is for me better than most authors will ever write. Recommend. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's something funny (odd?)--I had to scroll through my Kindle to see if I had read this book. I, too, have loved everything Anne Tyler writes, so why could't I remember for certain whether I had read this--even with June's prompting? May have to revisit... I even paid full Amazon price!