Monday, September 25, 2017

Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill

Note: This book was originally released with the title "The Book of Negroes".

Someone Knows My Name is the story of Aminita, a fictional character, who lived in the 1700's and was born in Africa. When she's 11, she is abducted and taken by ship to Charleston where she is sold as a slave. She is bright and desperately wants to be free to return to Africa. The book follows her as she falls in love, becomes a mother, endures the constant mistreatment of white people, and travels to other countries as she attempts to return home.

This is a long book and not always easy to read. But I never knew about the slaves in New York City during the Revolutionary War and their role during that time. And I didn't know that many were shipped to Nova Scotia and what happened to them there. I found it all to be fascinating.

Highly recommend this one. -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a brilliant book!