Thursday, March 29, 2018

The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng

There are some books that take so long to develop, that I'm tempted to put it aside. As I read this beautiful novel, I admired the exquisite writing but I just was having a hard time picking it up - and was finding it was way to easy to put it down. I almost gave up. BUT I'm so glad I didn't.

The first half of the book introduces the main characters: Yun Ling Teoh, a retired judge who has returned to Malaysia; Maritomo, a renowned Japanese gardner; Magnus, a tea farmer who lives in the Malaysian Highlands, and more. The first half of the book leaves a lot of questions in the mind of the reader. The author jumps around to different times without any headings or other indications that he's now 30 years ahead or behind. And then there's the foreign words that are a mystery. And things are stated but never explained.

But then suddenly the questions start to be answered and the author fills in the holes. And it's wonderful! When my book club met to discuss this book, we all felt that this was a book worth the wait and requires patience. There are so many wonderful themes but I loved the parts about memories and what we remember and what we wish to forget. Just a special, beautifully poetic book. - June

No comments: