Saturday, October 20, 2018

The Power by Naomi Alderman

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again.... I just love it when an author comes up with a unique idea... be it quirky or crazy.... and then pulls it off in a novel. Of course, one of my favorites in this department will always be Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. But I was prepared to dislike The Power. My Mother-Daughter book club selected this one, and it was one of the young Millennials who chose it. As she described it to the group, the Boomers were eye-rolling and trying to keep a neutral face. A few weeks later, one of my friends declared it to be "unreadable" and forced herself to finish it just so she could discuss her hatred for the book at our meeting.

Needless to say, my attitude was not positive as I opened it up. But I was pulled in... slowly at first, and then full on. I thought the obvious parallels the author drew between men having power over women and what might happen if this were reversed were brilliant. She described how men feared women and were afraid to walk the streets alone at night... something all of us know well. In this time of Me Too, this book was a perfect read and ideal for discussion. And it's one I never would have picked up on my own without someone pointing it out.  The goal of our book group is to share ideas across generations. Check that box for this book. - June


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As usual, I agree with your analysis. For me, this is the type of book that causes introspection throughout. Although there were some awkward parts and some editing that could (possibly) have made the narrative crisper, the exploration of this concept was masterful.