Sunday, February 10, 2019

Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan

There must be something wrong with me. Everyone loves this book! It gets 4.5 stars on GoodReads! The story sounds riveting..... A young Italian teenager helps guide Jews over the mountains into Switzerland during WWII. And it's based on a real person who was interviewed by the author! Sounds like a winner doesn't it?

It reminds me a bit of Unbroken by Laura Hillebrand. Both books are based on true stories. And both authors had the opportunity to interview the "heroes" who overcame tremendous obstacles and yet somehow survived. Both men were brave and sacrificing. And when I read both of these books, I read them in disbelief. Yes, I think that in both cases, either the men themselves or the authors made the individuals into superheroes and completely unbelievable to me.

Yes, I do believe that Pino Lella did assist the Jews into making their way into Switzerland, and he risked his own life to do so. But the specific actions and the dialogue created by the author makes it seem over the top. This book needed editing. And then maybe more editing. Sorry. This is one of the few books that I just can't finish. - June




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agree with your comment about the need to edit and, perhaps, tone down the "over the top" hero worship. But I really liked this book a lot. See how profound my reviews are? And helpful? :-)