Friday, July 5, 2019

The Master Plan by Chris Wilson

I've mentioned before - and I'll say it again - being in a book club often gets me out of my literature rut and forces me to read books I normally would not choose. This one was selected by my Mother-Daughter club, and we all enjoyed the book as well as the discussion about it.

Chris Wilson is a black man who grew up in a rough neighborhood in DC. The first third of the book focuses on his childhood, his dysfunctional and sometimes violent family, and his friends. He had a few nice memories of his mother, but she was also an abused wife and became abusive herself. He ran in a rough crowd and dropped out of school after 8th grade. After his cousin is murdered, he starts carrying a gun for protection.... until the night he shoots a man, kills him, and is sentenced to life in prison at 17.

The second portion of the book describes his life in prison and how he works to turn himself around. He develops a Master Plan that includes a list of things he wishes to accomplish including getting his GED, going to college, helping others, etc. As he accomplishes each goal, he marks it as "done" on his list, and every year he sends a copy to his mother (who ignores them) and to the judge who gave him his sentence. This part of the book was my favorite as it really helps view what his life was like in prison.

Chris eventually is released from prison and devotes his time continuing to achieve the items on his Master Plan. He speaks to groups about his life in hopes of motivating others. He is a good man. However, the final part of the book left me (and others) a little cold. Perhaps he wrote the book too soon before he had the chance to do the good things he hoped to do. However, that doesn't take away from the overall quality of the book. Definitely recommend this one. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This book rang true to my brief experience counseling in a mens' prison as well as my impression of some of the pitfalls an ex-con faces upon release. I would have liked less bravado/self-congratulations from the author, but believe he is probably deserving of the self-praise as I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to start again with a criminal record!!! Definitely a worthy read!!!