Friday, April 17, 2020

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

Don't blame the book when I say that it took me a month to read it. This is the book I had just started then the COVID-19 pandemic started. Although I've been housebound, reading has been difficult and I found I have had to force myself to sit down (without my phone or iPad to distract me) and read.

The Leavers is very well written. It is one of those books that jumps around in time but it works. The story starts in the middle where a young Chinese boy is living with his mother after immigrating to New York City. One day his mother goes to work and never returns. As the book continues, we find out what happened to the boy as well as the background of the mother and what caused her to not return home.

I recommend it. I probably would have liked it more if I'd read it more efficiently rather than a few pages at a time, but I do this it's a worthwhile read. -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liked this one. resonated with me and I was able to relate to the narrator's feelings of fear that he would always be left/deserted.