Sunday, March 6, 2022

Oh William by Elizabeth Strout

Olive Kitteridge and Olive, Again are two of my favorite books. I was hoping that Oh William would be comparable. While I can't say Lucy Barton will stay with me like Olive has, I do think this is a fascinating book. Elizabeth Strout is a beautiful writer, and there are little snippets in here that make you want to underscore the text and write in the margins. But it is not a book for people who want a complicated plot or an exciting storyline. I have a friend who is reading this for her book club and I know she will hate it. She only likes plot-driven stories. She has no interest in the backstories of the characters; she just wants action.

Disclaimer: I didn't read Strout's other book about Lucy Barton. Should have probably read that first. This one is all about her relationship with her ex-husband, William. Let's just say it's complicated. There are musings about her childhood, her role as a mother, her mother-in-law, her recently deceased husband, and lots of little philosophical ramblings. But I enjoyed it and recommend it. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved William