Tuesday, May 17, 2022

The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles

This is a tough one to write about. I absolutely love A Gentleman in Moscow, and when the author came to town, I went with friends to hear his most excellent talk. I was very excited to read The Lincoln Highway.

Amor Towles is a fabulous writer. There is no question about that. He develops his characters in such a way that you know everything about them and either adore them or hate them. In this novel, there are a large cast of characters, and perhaps this is the part that I didn't love as much as others have. The major characters appear to be Emmett and his little brother, Billy. They have a close relationship and interesting traits, and you immediately fall in love with them both. But then we meet Duchess, Wooley, Sally, and all of the people they meet along the way on their grand adventure. Chapters are divided up by these characters so you read different perspectives in each one. It can get a little confusing.... but again, the writing is just so beautiful!!!

After reading about 1/3 of the novel, I put it down and didn't want to continue. Everything that could possibly go wrong for our buddies, Emmett and Billy, goes wrong. Everyone seems out to keep them from what they want to do. And I just didn't want anything else to happen to them - so I stopped. But a friend pushed me on, so I read to the end. And it's quite an ending!

I do recommend this book. How could I not when it's written so well? But I guess I was just hoping for a little more. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this book and agree that the reader needs to devote herself to the mission because, once you do (I did), it is addictive! What a brilliant writer! Again points to why I sometimes miss paper/pages because there are so many sentences/paragraphs in the book that I wanted to highlight or, at the very least, read to another.