Saturday, April 29, 2023

Still Life by Sarah Winman

I rarely give up on a book, but my Kindle is packed with books I want to read, and this one is pissing me off. It received wonderful reviews, and the plot sounded great, but I can't read it. Who writes a novel full of dialogue with no quotation marks? It was an effort to read page after page not knowing if something was said out loud or thought by a character, and who was even in the scene? And then there were paragraphs like this one:

In the snug, a couple of coppers were lording it, keeping the language clean. Col was on the long pull, generous measures to encourage a lock-in, a ploy to shift the stack of liver sausage sandwiches stinking up the counter.

Huh?

Here's the basics. This is about a guy who comes home to London from WW2 and he inherits a house in Italy from a guy he met while there serving his country. He goes to Florence with some of his friends and lives happily ever after. At least that's what I think it's about. I only skimmed the last 3/4 of the book. - June

No comments: