Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel

I'm used to novels that jump around in time and move from one character to another. But this one can be very confusing as it goes from one place and time to another. However, it's totally worth it. I highly recommend that you read this book in a relatively short period of time so that you can better keep track of all the different storylines.

The book starts with a character in 1912. Then jumps to a character who was a minor character in The Glass Hotel. And then it moves into the future. Yes, much of the book takes place in 2203 and 2401. I was fascinated to read about how colonies are set up on the moon and the pros and dangers of time travel. (FYI - I hate sci-fi) There's even a pandemic in one of the future centuries. All of the various storylines do come together eventually, but I almost feel I need to reread the book just to pick up on all the things I missed. 

This novel is extremely well written, and the author is quickly becoming a favorite. I highly recommend it. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this book and probably would not have chosen it but for the recommendation of our hostess (neither of us prefer Sci-Fi), but this one doesn't seem to reach for the absurd. It all seems eerily possible....