Tuesday, December 30, 2008

If it's strange, is it good?

A friend recently loaned me The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian (he also wrote Midwives), and she told me to read it because it's very strange. Normally, I trust this friend's taste in books, but I don't normally like books that might be considered strange. Maybe she wanted me to read it so that we could talk about its strangeness. Anway, I decided to try it, and I soon found myself getting hooked on the characters in it. In addition to the main characters, the book includes characters from The Great Gatsby Although I read Gatsby years ago, I don't remember much beyond the basic plot and the setting. But the book fills in the gaps in my memory. My friend called this a mystery, and there definitely are things that you struggle as a reader to understand, but it isn't your traiditional who-done-it... that's for sure. The ending is a surprise, so I won't tell you more, but I do think that it's worth reading. And it is kind of strange.
-June

No comments: