Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

After reading Olive, I figured the next book would fail in any comparison. But I enjoyed this book because it is so very different from Olive K. The narrator is Enzo, a dog who understands language and learns everything he needs to know on TV, but he can't communicate what he knows to people around him. He tells the story of his family... his owner Denny who marries Eve and they have a daughter named Zoe. Eve becomes sick and ultimately dies leaving Denny is a tangle of legal issues with his in-laws. Enzo tells the reader all the details from his point of view and also how he compares racing cars to life. A quick read for anyone who loves dogs. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can improve upon Wally Lamb who wrote: "I savored Garth Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain for many reasons: a dog who speaks, the thrill of competitive racing, a heart-tugging storyline, and-best of all-the fact that it is a meditation on humility and hope in the face of despair. Since finishing this engagingly unique novel, I've found myself staring at my own dog, thinking Hmmm, I wonder..."
I believe you know that I am not a great lover of dogs. However, I think I have become a lover of great dogs...including this one, who could very well be Marley's brother.
It's a quick, thoroughly enjoyable read, even the sad parts.--BT