Monday, June 7, 2010

Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese

This book received many rave reviews. The characters are great, and the setting in Ethopia is fascinating. Although I really liked it, I felt there were times it could have been condensed somewhat... the book is over 600 pages! Surgeries are described in minute detail, and I found myself skimming right over those parts. Perhaps if I had a medical background, those sections would have more meaning. But read it to know the characters. I think they will stay with me. -June
P.S. This turned out to be a great book to read and then discuss. My book group spent the entire time talking about it. Very interesting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the finest books I've read in a long time. Passion on several levels. Even the medical detail was interesting. Buster