Friday, December 10, 2010

Too Close to the Falls by Catherine Gildiner

Thanks, Sister Tillie! This is a fun memoir about a girl growing up in a small town in upstate New York in the 50's. Perhaps I could have related to her school experience a tad more if I'd attended Catholic schools, but I still loved reading of her adventures. Her family is unique (never eating any meals at home) and her friends are unforgettable (especially Roy). Great book! - June

I recently read Too Close To The Falls (thank you, BT) and loved, loved, loved that little shit. She reminded me so much of my growing up during that time. Now I just finished After The Falls, and was disappointed. Once again, I enjoyed reminiscing about those years (which was while we were all meeting each other, and SOME of us were still growing up, as I recall :), but I hated to see that innocence and self confidence slip away. Ah well, that's the bumps of life, I guess. I hear Blackie in there giggling at Too Close To The Falls, as I type. Very fun book (except the end).-Carit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I think Carla really enjoyed this one, too. Highly entertaining and touching.