Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Seamstress: A Memoir of Survival by Sara Tuvel Bernstein & others

I'm through with WWII books for a few months. It seems like my book club has picked several of them, and although I find them fascinating, books like this one just haunt me. Sara Bernstein was a holocaust survivor having spent months in concentration camps. Most of the women with her died, but she managed to stay alive - although she was certainly close to death when the war ended and she was saved. The first half of the book focuses on her family and her life leading up to the war. But it's the second half that blows you away. It is graphic in it's detail, and there were actually times when I would have to put it down because I felt physically ill from reading it. It reminded me at time of Unbroken - both excellent reads. -June

No comments: