Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

This is a well-reviewed first novel by the author, and I read it for my book club. It will be an interesting discussion since several members of my club work with children's services and family therapy. In the Language of Flowers we meet a main character, Victoria, who is just leaving the foster home program as she turns 18. We learn about her troubling past, and we can see how it has molded her into someone who has major issues with forming relationships. I thought that this part of the book was fascinating even though there were times when I wanted to reach into the book and smack her. The other interesting part of the book is the information on flowers and how they can be used to communicate emotions. The first half of the book is wonderful. There are many holes in the second half, and while it still is enjoyable to read, it becomes a bit frustrating. Even the ending leaves some unanswered questions. I think the author felt that the happy ending was complete, but there were still people Victoria dumped along the way who were truly good to her. If we are supposed to feel that Victoria has changed..... well, she still has a really long way to good. But I still recommend the book. -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just finished the book and wondered if the fact that I read the BIG PRINT version was why I kept thinking how immature Victoria was or that perhaps the writing was intended for "young adults." Then I remembered--She is only 18!!!! Enjoyed the symbolism of the flowers. Who knew (beyond red roses meaning love)? I recommend, as well. BT