Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

This was one of those books that kept popping up as a recommendation for me on Amazon. So when I saw it at the library, I grabbed it. It's a pretty quick read, and although I thought it was well written, I don't think I'll run back and pick up all the other books by the author. It's basically the story of two mothers and their daughters living in Atlanta in the 60's. Both mothers are married to the same man. One mother and daughter live their lives as part of a "normal" family with the father. The other mother and daughter are secrets, and although they know about the other family, they are not a part of their lives. The first half of the book is written from the secret daughter's point of view, and the second half from the other daughter. Of course, the characters are bound to meet, and the results are disastrous for everyone. The only character that is really difficult to figure out is the father who seems like a decent man some of the time but who doesn't understand the hurt he's caused to so many people. Recommend this one but with some reservations. - June

No comments: