Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Generally, I'm not a fan of science fiction or fantasy novels.  I haven't read The Hobbit or The Passage or any of the Twilight books.  I even found Harry Potter to be tiring after a while (go ahead and stone me!).  But I found The Snow Child to be a very entertaining and sweet book.  It takes place in Alaska in the 20's.  Mabel and Jack live on a homestead, and are trying to get their lives back together after losing a baby.  They realize they will remain childless, and yet both of them long for children in their lives.  On a snowy day, they build a child out of snow, and she comes alive.  Mabel remembers reading a fairy tale about a snow child (and actually, I think I kind of remember something about one too - or maybe that was the gingerbread boy) and she is cautiously optimistic that this girl will be a part of their family.  Parts of the book are believable but the magic is interwoven nicely in the plot, and the characters are all interesting.  Recommend it.  -June

No comments: