Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Litigators by John Grisham

This one's for you, Carla.  I know how much you enjoy John Grisham.  And I'll admit that I haven't read much of his work since The Firm!  I only read this because I was showing a friend how to download books onto a Kindle from the library, and since The Litigators was available, I used it to show her the process.  The next week I was on a plane and thought I needed something light so I started reading it - and I really enjoyed it!  Yes, parts of it were very predictable.  You know that the alcoholic lawyer will eventually fall off the wagon and the young, bright lawyer would have to take over.  And you know that the lead poisoning law suit will eventually come through with a big settlement.  But the characters are interesting and the plot moves quickly so it's hard to put down. I did find the obsession with the female defense attorney to be very tiresome and frankly very chauvinistic.  Did we really need her beauty and sexuality described in every scene?  And was it realistic to have a group of high-profile, professional male attorneys discuss her body at a business gathering?  "Everyone took a sip, and within seconds the conversation spiraled down to an analysis of the legs and backside of Nadine Karros...."  Maybe most of Grisham's readers are male, and I certainly don't object to an attractive, powerful female character.  But somehow all the male drooling was a bit overblown, in my opinion.  Still this is a quick, fun read and I recommend it.  -June

No comments: