Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson

I remember loving the book Crow Lake.  In fact, I remember giving it to several friends and explaining that it was a quiet book but so well written.  So how did Mary Lawson manage to write a book in 2006 and I haven't seen it until now?  I guess I've just been busy with other authors, but I'm so glad I found this one.  Like Crow Lake, the characters are rich and deep.  And like so many books, the time shifts around so we see the characters in different times of their lives.  The main characters are Arthur and Jake, two brothers who could not be more different.  And Ian, a young boy who is struggling with his future and the departure of his mother.  Ian works during the summers on Arthur's farm, and he is there when Jake comes home.  There are so many themes in the book - jealousy, rivalry, duty to family, revenge - it's all there.  I loved it and highly recommend it.- June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved it! BT