Friday, August 22, 2014

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

There are just so many books about World War II out there that I didn't think I wanted to read another one.  So when the first friend recommended it, I filed it away and forgot about it.  But after two or three more recommendations (one person even saying it was the best book she'd read in years), I bought it.  And I'm glad.  The story follows primarily two people; a young, blind French girl, and a young orphaned German boy.  When the book begins, they are just 8 or 9 and it follows them until they are around 16 or 17.  It gives a different slant to the war than most other books, and the writing is quite good.  It's very hard to put down, and I highly recommend it.  -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, June's recommendation hits a home run with me. The writing is superb and the imagery some of the best I've read. +++++++++++++++