Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin

Months ago, I tried to listen to the audio version of The Aviator's Wife but found that I was totally frustrated with the author's writing style.  So imagine how excited I was when this book appeared on my Book Club list.  Perhaps, I thought, I'll like it better if I'm reading it rather than listening to it.  And yes, I did.  But only because when the author wrote something that she'd already told the reader 5 other times, I was able to skip forward easily to the next page.  For example, how many times would you think she had to tell us that Charles Lindburgh had a cleft chin?  The answer - 9 times.  Most readers might have picked that up after the first or second time, but just in case you're an idiot, the author makes sure you know about it.  Or how about the number of different types of "grins" that either Anne or Charles gave each other.  Stupid grin, proud grin, surprising grin, carefree grin, earnest grin, toothy grin, tomboyish grin, jaunty grin - and the list goes on and on.  Let's just say there was a lot of grinning going on even though it turns out that Charles Lindburgh was a jerk.  All that being said, I did find that the story told was interesting.  The parts of the book that were based on fact (the flights they took, the kidnapping, the obsession by the press) were fascinating.  Perhaps I would have been better off reading a good biography on Anne or Charles rather than a fictionalized version told as if Anne was writing it herself, grinning and admiring Charles cleft chin. - June

No comments: