Sunday, November 30, 2014

Why Can I Be You by Allie Larkin

I need to stop looking at book reviews from readers.  This novel receives rave reviews, and I just have to assume that they are all written by 18-20 year olds.  Since I am a few years north of that age, I had a hard time relating to the characters in this novel.  It's definitely chick lit - and although well written, it's so far fetched that it is simply silly.  (Although someone somewhere loves it enough to make it into a movie!  Coming soon!)  Basically, it's the story of a young woman who goes on a business trip after being dumped by her boyfriend, and she is mistaken for someone else by a group of friends attending a high school reunion.  Instead of correcting them, she decides to play along and become someone else for a week.  Believable?  No.  I suppose there's a message in there - we should be happy to just be ourselves and not try to someone else - or something like that.  But it was all just too predictable and fluffy for me.  -June

No comments: