Saturday, June 10, 2017

Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf

Finally! After reading all these serious (and depressing!) non-fiction books for my book club, we've moved on to something I can really enjoy! Our Souls at Night is a short novel that can be described as "lovely" - a word I rarely use to describe a book but somehow here it applies.

Addie and Louis are both widowed and live in the same small town. They decide to sleep together since they both miss the bedtime conversations, the closeness of another person at night. They develop a beautiful relationship and although the town folk spread gossip about them, they manage to ignore them and enjoy their time together.

I wanted a different ending. That's all I'll say. I also would like a different ending for this author who passed away before this novel was published. Kent Haruf was a wonderful author and he will be missed. This is one you need to read. You can do it in a day. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He was a wonderful writer and I was fortunate to see one of his books adapted into a stage play--superb! Lived in Salida just down the road from my mother in Buena Vista.