Sunday, December 3, 2017

Lies You Wanted to Hear by James Whitfield Thomson

I needed a break after The Sellout. And this novel was the perfect selection. I read it in two days!

After the first few chapters, I thought this might be a little bit of a Chick Lit book. But as I read further and got more into the lives of the characters, I knew it was more than that. The book focuses on a couple, Lucy and Matt, and the chapters alternate between the two characters. When they meet, Matt is instantly in love with Lucy, but she is still drawn to Griffin, a man who recently left her and continues to come into her life when it suits him. The first half of the book simply shows how the relationship between Lucy and Matt develops, and they ultimately marry. Then things start to unravel. I won't give away any more than that. But both characters are flawed and both make mistakes and poor decisions. And there's lots of guilt and shame and blame to go around. And, like the title suggests, they tell lies to each other that they think their partner wants to hear.

Well written and a surprise - this is a debut novel by a man who is 67! I guess there's still hope for us to write that all American novel! - June

No comments: