Friday, December 1, 2017

The Sellout: A Novel by Paul Beatty

One of the main reasons I belong to a book club is that we try to challenge ourselves by choosing books we normally wouldn't read. I am drawn to contemporary fiction, and yet our club pushes me to try more non-fiction, historical literature, and more. This book is like no other book any of us have ever read.

Sometimes as I read a book, there is a little hand in my head that is giving a thumbs up or a thumbs down. Do I like this book? Is it a good read? Is it well-written? As I read The Sellout, I would think, "This is weird!" or "This is the funniest thing I've ever read!" or "I hate this book. How much longer is it?" I was all over the place.

The book is satire. If you read it, do not expect your typical novel. It is all about race, and the plot (what there is of a plot) seems almost a minor part of the book. The bulk of the book consists of short vignettes that, for me, were amazingly creative and often hysterical. And the characters are a 10 on the quirkiness scale.

At my book club, two of the 5 members attending had read the book. Three started it, hated it, and quit. And one member didn't show up. I assume she had no interest in discussing it. And yet I recommend trying it. After all, it is the first book by an American author to win the Man Booker Prize! It can't be all bad, right? - June




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of the finest books I have ever read--especially one that treats the subject. As June says, it will take you all over the place emotionally. I highly recommend it.