Friday, February 2, 2018

Shotgun Lovesongs by Nicholas Butler

I've never lived in a small town. And I don't think I'd ever want to. But reading about life in a small town can be fun, and Shotgun Lovesongs was a good read. Actually, it was a good listen since I had the audio book. The readers of the audio book do a fabulous job; each one is a different character. But let's talk about the book first.

This is the story of 5 friends who grew up together in the small town of Little Wing, Wisconsin. The majority of the plot takes place while this group is in their 30's but there are several flashbacks that give background. If you're looking for an action-packed who-dunnit kind of book, this is not for you. But if you want some excellent writing and interesting characters with lots of interaction between those characters, this might do it. It's a story of friendship, love, and loyalty, with a sprinkling of conflict and a few secrets. I enjoyed it, but I can't help but wonder if I would have given up on the book while enjoying the audio book. As each reader became a character, I felt as if I were hearing their story right from them. At any rate, I enjoyed it, and it helped pass the time on a car ride and more. -June

No comments: