Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Life She was Given by Ellen Marie Wiseman

I'm such an idiot! I need to start reading my own blog! Three years ago, I read and wrote about another book by Ellen Wiseman, What She Left Behind. And in my review, I clearly did not care for the writing. So what do I do? I dive into another one of her books expecting that I'll love it. Unfortunately, the author's writing style has become worse, not better!!

The Life She Was Given came with excellent reviews. Some reviewers called it a "beautiful" book. Beauty is not the same for everyone, that's for sure. Yes, there's an interesting-sounding story line. A young girl is kept in an attic by her parents who eventually sell her to the circus. A separate story line starts where a young girl runs away from abusive parents only to return home when her parents die and she inherits their estate. All kinds of unrealistic things happen and, as you'd expect, the two stories merge. However, the writing.......

The author uses a questioning technique that becomes extremely annoying. Things like..... What if the ice storm continues? What if the heat doesn't come on? Will she need to feed the horses? And what if they don't eat? What if the sky falls? And on and on. So irritating. I thought it might just be me, but I did read several other reviews that noticed the same issue.

So I'm done with this author. I just need to remember it and not buy another one of her books. Way too many good books out there to read instead. - June

No comments: