Saturday, December 14, 2019

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

In my Mother-Daughter Book Club, the Boomers have worked hard to bring out the Millennials, and I feel we are making great progress. One of the Millennials recently thanked all of us for introducing her to reading!! So when one of these lovely young women recently offered to host a meeting AND she had selected a book for us to discuss, I knew I not only would read the book, but I would do everything I could to love it. I can't show up to the meeting and bash her book.

But boy, it will be tough.

Alice falls down while working out at the gym and bumps her head. When she wakes up, she can't remember anything that has happened in the past 10 years. She thinks she's still pregnant and 29 when in fact she is a 39-year-old mother of three who is in the process of a divorce. As Alice struggles to puzzle together her life over these missing years, we are forced to hear about how thin, rich, and privileged she is. And she has a new man who is crazy about her but who she doesn't even know. Somehow she can't remember her children but she can remember her computer password. Go figure. Anyway, the book is FAR too long and repetitive, and the author does the thing I hate most.... manipulates the reader by giving clues the story will go one way when in fact it doesn't - over and over. OK, I need to stop hating it long enough to come up with something positive for the meeting.

I think we can talk about how important the decade is when a woman is in her 30s, when she has passed the frivolous 20s and is getting down to the important stuff. We might talk about how this accident was a good thing for Alice giving her a chance to see her life in a different way. Oh boy, I'm really stretching here. Perhaps I'll just smile and drink a lot of wine. Good plan. - June

No comments: