Sunday, May 31, 2020

Educated by Tara Westover

Again, I'm late to the party on this one. I've been hearing rave reviews for months about this one, and finally (because it's on my book club list), I read it. Normally, I'm not a huge fan of memoirs, but this one is pretty darn fascinating. It reminded me of The Glass Castle which I think I read over 15 years ago. In both books, the main character is female and somehow manages to pull herself out of a dysfunctional childhood into a life normal enough to manage to write a book! Amazing!

Tara Westover's family is living off the grid with no formal education for the children and a distrust for government and the medical community. One of her older brothers is very abusive and those were, for me, the most difficult parts of the book to read. Ultimately, her parents do not believe this abuse occurred and this manages to divide the family.

The book is well written and compelling. Would definitely recommend it. But now I certainly need to read something a little lighter. Whew! - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When June is "late to the party," then I am either later to the party or the review. In this case, I had already read Educated and found that it lived up to my expectations which were high. I usually regret having expectations about a book but how else would we know when another great one hits the stands?!?