Monday, May 25, 2020

The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See

After struggling to find books that held my interest, I was not looking forward to reading some book about Korean women who are divers. It just didn't sound that appealing. But I admit that I found the book fascinating! On the island of Jeju off the coast of Korea, there was a close-knit group of women who supported their families and their local communities by diving and harvesting things from the sea. The novel covers their relationships with each other and with other members of their family. And it doesn't hold back on the dangers of their work.

The book also deals with the political parts of their lives during the 1930's, and be warned..... there are a couple of quite violent scenes.

The themes of friendship and forgiveness are throughout the novel. It's beautifully written and researched. And it taught me so much about this part of the world that I never knew.

Definitely recommend this one, BT. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thoroughly enjoyed this book and thanks for the recommendation. The follow-up (unintentional) for me was Pachinko which I thought was livelier but not as cerebral. I know nothing about Korea (north or south) and was fascinated by this "matrifocal" society. The women were the bread winners (sea food) while the men tended the children. But they were still subjugated by the men. Concepts of honor and friendship and loyalty in this culture are tenderly examined. Good read, for sure!