Monday, July 13, 2020

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson

Ever since I heard about this book at a holiday book talk, I've been anxious to read it. The author has obviously done extensive research on the subjects in the book. It takes place in the 1930's in rural Kentucky, and Cussy (the main character) is part of the Pack Horse women who deliver books and reading material to people who do not have access to libraries. I don't know that I've ever heard about this project, and I found this part of the book to be fascinating. 

Cussy is also a blue-skinned woman. Her color is due to a genetic blood issue that is described in the book. While I've heard of this, I didn't know much about it, and I also never realized that they suffered the same discrimination as blacks in the area.

Much of the book held my interest. Unfortunately, the author decided to add a lot of unnecessary romance and melodrama, especially at the end. I think I would have preferred a much different and less predictable ending for the book. Kind of recommend - but not wholeheartedly. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But, I liked it, too, and would recommend if only for the historical part. Fascinating the things/people who existed that we know nothing about...