Sunday, July 26, 2020

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin

If you knew when you were going to die, would you change how you live your life? Four siblings visit a fortune teller when they are young and they all learn how much longer they will live. This beginning hooked me.

At this point, the book is divided into four sections, basically one for each sibling. The first section is about Simon who is the youngest of the four. He's gay and runs away to San Francisco in the early 80's just in time to be a part of the scene there and the advent of the AIDS epidemic. His story is, of course, tragic, but also the most interesting of the four. Things go downhill after that and each section of the book became less and less interesting to me. I admit by the time I got to the last sibling and her story, I skimmed over the details and just tried to figure out how all of this changed her life.

For a book that had a lot of promise to start, I was disappointed in how it progressed. - June

No comments: