Monday, January 23, 2023

Chemistry Lesson by Bonnie Garmus

This was just what I needed to read after several more serious books. I've seen people refer to it as funny - and while the subject matter isn't humorous, the writing sometimes is quirky and fun. It's in some ways like a fairy tale with a magical ending.

Don't be put off by the cover. Elizabeth herself talks about how "pink for girls" is wrong, and yet the publishers gave the book a pink cover making it look like chick lit - which it is not - or a romance - also not.

It takes place in the 50's in the days when women in the workforce were always secretaries or assistants. Elizabeth Zott is a chemist. Most of the men in her world treat her with contempt (or worse!) as she tries to establish herself in her career. But then she meets Calvin. I won't say more, but I highly recommend this one. I think I read it all in two days. - June

 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVED IT! Actually recommended by someone who does not usually read the same stuff I like, but her husband recommended it, too. I'm sold! Have I thanked you lately for writing this blog? No? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Love, TB