Thursday, January 19, 2023

The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel

This is a tough one to describe. I'm discussing it next week with my book club, and I hope that by talking about it with friends, I'll be able to understand it more fully. But it is a confusing read.... or in this case a confusing "listen" since I was able to check out the audio book and listened as I walked each day.

You know how some books jump from one time to another and one character to another? Well, this one does it like no other. The author goes forward in time, back a bit, into the future, way in the past, bouncing all over the place - and each time focusing on a different character. And yet, it eventually all makes sense. I often wished I'd had the benefit of the written book so that I could go back and re-read a section but with an audio book that is hard to do.

I read a review where someone wrote that this book is like a group of stories and not just one. And that is true - many storylines - and just when you think one has been left hanging and forgotten, it pops up again. Ponzi schemes, missing mothers, remote hotels, artists, shipping executives, all kinds of stories and characters.

So do I recommend it? Yes. But if you have been confused by some of the other ones I've mentioned recently, lay off the gummies while reading this one! -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haven't read it yet (and after consulting the blog, I now have 10 more books to request) but, of course, being as self-centered as I am, your challenge to lay off the gummies while reading this, hit me right in my competitive wee heart. so...you're on ! I just don't know when. :-