Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Trust by Hernan Diaz

BT, I know you said you gave up on this one, and boy oh boy, I was tempted. But there was a part of me that just thought that it must get better if it won a Pulitzer. So I slogged and skipped my way through it, and here's what I think..... The author or the editor could have cut out about half of the text and it would have been much better. All of the financial details were way beyond me and also unnecessary for the plot.

The novel is divided into four parts... a short novel, an autobiography in progress, a memoir, and a diary. There are many conflicting parts to the basic story, and the final section does pull most of it together and reveals a big surprise, but there are still many unanswered questions. 

Am I glad I stuck with it? I guess so. The ending was creative. But it was just a long hard road getting there. - June

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think the powers that be select books for awards when they are this long...small print, single space...

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Jean stuck with it because that gave me the impetus to do so and I am very very glad I did. I think it is excellent ALBEIT difficult to "get into." Agree with the editing comment and wonder if those transitions between characters would be easier if announced at the start. This is one of those books where I wish for a list of characters...in this case, not because there were so many, but because the reader was asked to jump unawares into the "next chapter." I thought the author's ability to develop the characters by having them each approach Mildred's dying--perspective.