Wednesday, August 28, 2024

The Berry Pickers by Amanda Peters

Finally!! After several starts and stops and multiple DNFs (a term I keep seeing online and I'm stealing it), I came across this book that grabbed me from the start. The writing is beautiful, and the characters and their relationships are "real".

An indigenous family living in Nova Scotia goes to Maine every summer to pick berries. They live in a cabin and sit around a campfire. One summer while they are in Maine, the youngest child, Ruthie, disappears. Her brother, Joe, was the last one to see her. The book then alternates between the story of Joe and his life filled with guilt and remorse and Ruthie whose life is completely altered but who never feels she's in the right place. 

This novel got me through Covid so how's that for a recommendation!! - June

No comments: