Sunday, November 4, 2012

Straight Man by Richard Russo

When this book came out in 1998, I remember reading a review in the newspaper and knew I needed to read it.  I'd never heard of Richard Russo (this was long before his Pulitzer Prize) and I fell in love with this book immediately.  I raved about it to all my friends and made them read it.  So now, years later, I forced the book onto my book club telling them it's an all-time favorite.  Reading it now, I still love it, but as I read it this time, I wonder how my book club members will receive it.  I just hope they see the humor there and not just focus on a man who is obsessed with peeing.  The book takes place in one week in the life of Hank, a university professor and chairman of the English Department.  We meet his family and his colleagues who are all unique and, in typical Russo style, quite quirky.  One of my favorites is his secretary who ends every sentence as if it were a question by raising her voice at the end.  All hell breaks lose during this week, and as we read about Hank, it's hard to decide if he's incredibly sane or mad.  But we love him regardless.

I'm glad after all these years I was able to reread this book and know that I still love it.  I'll continue to force it on my friends. -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read this years ago and loved it...certainly being able to identify with the academic world helped make it more salient for me, but Russo was and is one of my favorite authors, too. Thanks for reminding me, June.