Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Land More Kind than Home by Wiley Cash

A little undiscovered gem.  I can't even remember where I heard about this book.  Maybe it was on another blog or maybe Amazon pushed it out to me and said, "Here!  You need to read this!"  Whatever happened, I'm glad it did.  The book takes place in the 80's in a small town in North Carolina.  We hear the story of how a young boy died through the eyes of three people: his 9-year-old brother, the town sheriff, and an elderly woman in his church.  As the book changes from one narrator to the next, we learn about the young boys family and what happened to him the night he attended church with his mother. The author really captures the feelings and the emotions of each narrator but I especially liked Jess, the boy's brother. I confess when I first picked it up, I thought it might not be something I'd like, but I was hooked within 20 pages.  -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this prompt, June. I agree.