Monday, February 11, 2013

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

I love reading when I'm on vacation.  That's when I do some serious reading.  I don't mean I read serious books.  But I can spend more time reading in large blocks of time which really gets me seriously involved in the book.  I've been saving Wild for vacation because the subject matter appealed so much to me.

Cheryl Strayed hiked most of the PCT from the Mohave Desert to the Oregon/Washington border.  Her reasons for doing this are many but primarily she was in a rough time in her life and was needing to "find herself".  Through flashbacks in her story, we learn about her family and her relationships with her mother and her siblings.  She's brutally honest and seems to hold nothing back about her life.  And her story about hiking the trail left me torn between thinking it would be amazing to try something like that and at the same time thinking she was crazy to attempt it.  Absolutely loved this book, and I look forward to more books by Cheryl.  -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww! And I thought I could make a recommendation for June because I just finished this excellent book and "forgot" that June had reviewed it nearly a year earlier! Anyhoo, it is well worth the time and I also hope she makes good on her decision to "become" a writer and completes more than this one!